4d as desktop client for external db (not 4d)

Hi everyone,
just to begin a small discussion:
I think 4D could be a great solution as a desktop client front end, working with centralized company DB (not 4d). And the recent 4d remote v17 preemptive R4 release confirms my opinion.
4D as stand alone app (or 4d server),working in a solid and high performance way (no odbc please, and not blocking process) with mysql/mariadb or mssql (most used in small-medium companies)
I’m actually using 4d as application server on different websites external engines, working directly with the good mysql plugin by pluggers,
I run it connecting to external database for daily long batch procedures, sending massive emails, long import-export procedures, etc…
But…the actual scenario working with an external db (not 4d) is not highly professional. All plugins I know are not updated recently (no native async client library, no v17 preemptive compatibilities). This means often block of 4d process (but also of the entire app) if something is not perfectly working with external db.
In recent versions, mysql and mariadb are using different technics and libraries for async connections and query, so we should need different plugins for each platform (I have customers with both products)
In the past two weeks I developed and tested two preliminary Mariadb and Mysql plugin (thread safe) on Windows, working with 4D v17 in preemptive process and the result seems to be very good.
My question: is anyone working on this scenario? I don’t see a great interest by 4d marketing to push 4d as a primary UI client desktop, for other db worlds I mean, and in my opinion is not a good strategy to increase the small 4d market share.

: Alessandro PEDRAZZINI

My question: is anyone working on this scenario? I don’t see a great
interest by 4d marketing to push 4d as a primary UI client desktop,
for other db worlds I mean, and in my opinion is not a good strategy
to increase the small 4d market share.

I have experimented with 4D/PostgreSQL in the scenario you describe. 4D stand alone can make fast and effective interfaces for other databases. The SET UPDATE FOLDER feature makes it possible to do automatic updates similar to 4D Client.

On the downside, the application size is huge. 17.1 Volume Desktop is almost 500MB before you add your application. Not that space is a big deal these days, but it can impact downloading and updating in comparison to other applications.

I think your approach is not widely used because (according to the license agreement) you have to pay a fee for every application deployed. I find it easier to use 4D Server and then integrate with other databases using various synchronization methods.