Crash on Launch - 4D v18R2 Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4)

I downloaded a copy of 18R2 to my Mac and launch it. I get the security warning:

Then I click Open and 4D crashes

At one point I was able to get 4D v18 to run, and I remember having the same problem… something about the Mac OS security blocking something and I need to enable something somewhere. However today, I don’t remember what I did, and a quick search of the forum didn’t help. I also checked the read me file in the installer, no help there.

What do I need to do to allow 4D to run on my Mac?

Neil

I have not had this problem with the same version of 4D and Catalina. If something is blocked you can often unblock it by looking at the System Preferences - Security and Privacy - Allow Apps downloaded options which is either (just App Store (no good here)) or (App Store and Identified developers (The correct option here). In addition occasionally there will exceptions allowable under these options during installation.

Hope this helps. Steve

Hi Neil

It’s possible you’ve run into MacOS translocation. Translocation is a randomly generated path. To avoid it you have to first move the App into your Applications folder manually using the Finder. I believe MacOS will then launch the App without translocation.

If you check the crash log, you can tell whether it’s translocated from the app path in the log.

Hope that helps.

As you suggested, it does seem to be a Translocated problem, it was in the Applications folder, I moved it out, then copied it in, I still get the error. Other 4D v18 apps are working in the same location. Just seems to be everything in this one version (4D v18R2) including both 4D Server and 4D.

Process: 4D [22014]
Path: /private/var/folders/*/4D.app/Contents/MacOS/4D
Identifier: com.4d.4d
Version: 18 R2 build 18R2.251175 (18.2.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: 4D [22014]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-06-02 16:26:28.336 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.4 (19E287)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 3D6939D9-D3D9-0433-B499-E1414584A61B

Sleep/Wake UUID: 90C2DFB7-5885-40CE-B15C-DD58439B6DE2

Time Awake Since Boot: 73000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 29000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Notes: Translocated Process

Crashed Thread: 0 (id = 775) Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

So I was able to get it out of Translocation mode by copying it to the desktop, deleting the one in the Applications folder then moving the copied version into the applications folder… however I’m still crashing.

Process: 4D [22482]
Path: /Applications/4D//4D.app/Contents/MacOS/4D*
Identifier: com.4d.4d
Version: 18 R2 build 18R2.251175 (18.2.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: 4D [22482]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-06-02 16:47:04.447 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.4 (19E287)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 3D6939D9-D3D9-0433-B499-E1414584A61B

Sleep/Wake UUID: 90C2DFB7-5885-40CE-B15C-DD58439B6DE2

Time Awake Since Boot: 74000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 30000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 (id = 775) Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [22482]

First, even if that is just technical saying, this is not a crash but an application stop triggered by Gatekeeper. I (and I assume some others) would prefer that Apple could simply display a message informing the user whats wrong, but they decided to “crash”. ok.

To solve that, there is only one way, you need to follow Apple’s rules

This means:
copy 4D from the installer directly into your application folder. Do not copy it somewhere else, do not change it. Do not rename it. If you prefer to keep several versions of 4D, create subfolders inside application folder, but do not rename or modify an app directly.

NEVER NEVER NEVER open the 4D package and install or remove plugins or other things.
NEVER touch the content.

If you modify 4D (or any other application), it is seen as dangerous thing and stopped. And the stop will look like a crash.

it could help to clean up your 4D licenses folder. A Colleague resolved such a Problem by removing dublicate license files.

Cheers
BerndB

IF SO, I really think that you should now NO MORE include the “4D InternetCommands.bundle” plugin BY DEFAULT in the 4D application. IF people want to use this plugin they must place the plugin in a new plugin folder near his database AND NO MORE in the 4D application. (BTW you already include this “Plugins” folder in the installer)

There is also many other files witch are problematic like for example :
Components/4D SVG.4dbase/4D SVG.htm

or the fact that we have to delete the
Contents/Resources/en.lproj (in the VolumeDesktop)
for having the french code active

etc.

All this is problematic with the new notarization system. :frowning_face:

I know you already working on this but there are things you can do quickly with very few impact.

yes. We did not yet, to avoid that everyone needs to put it back in. Nearly everyone uses email and the new email handling is not finished yet. When finished, 4D IC will be optional of course.

For language: 4D (or the system) automatically activate the language defined in the system. So if you want to switch from French to English or back, you only need to change the language in macOS control panel, 4D will automatically adapt.

If you want to ship with reduced set of languages your own build, no problem, you can modify Volume Desktop without any issue as you need to run a new signature (followed by notarization) for your own build anyway.

Actually, the solution you choice is not good because you continu to include it, but “newcomers” have to preferably use the new commands for sending email AND you don’t include this plugin in 4D Server so it is VERY disturbing… (Personally, I am in v18.1 and I ONLY use new commands without any old command and it works. So in my case, I am oblige to manually delete this old plugin)

For the language part, I talk about programming 4D language NOT application langague…

I removed the existing copy of 4D v18R2 from the Applications folder
I double clicked the installer
Using the installer window I copied 4D v18 R2 tot he applications folder by dragging it inside the window
I then navigate to the 4D v18 R2 folder inside the applications folder and double click 4D.app
I get the warning… “4D.app” is an app downloaded from the internet…
The app then is terminated by Mac OS X “crashed” :slight_smile:

I didn’t modify anything or rename the app or actually touch it in anyway other than the double click.

There is a pending OS X update from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 that will happen on my machine tonight, I will try this same test in the morning. ( 18R3 beta works fine… I hope that is OK to say here )

Neil

I believe there is something wrong that is unique to my machine. I downloaded 4D v18R2 to my laptop running 10.15.4 and R2 works fine.

Upgrading my desktop to 10.15.5 did not fix the problem on that machine.

I never had that, so cannot really help.

Not an answer to your issue, just a possible “workaround”:
Sometimes when we had “strange” behavior on a Mac, it helped to create a new user account and repeat the job there. If it works, then “something” in your user’s cache/settings/preferences/whatever is bad.Then you can either try to repair/delete that, or switch to the new user account.

Another way to fix this kind of strange behavior with a 99% chance is to rebuild your computer using a Time Machine backup. Format/Reinstall your Mac and when asked for Time Machine backup, say yes. It will rebuild the OS but use your existing settings and of course all data and applications.

The new user approach did not work, still have the same problem.

I will try the time machine approach and let everyone know how that goes. If that does not work, I might just do a clean install and rebuild, yes it is a pain, but I like to do it every few years anyway just to clean the junk off my computer.

To choose a Language per App this works very well:
App Language Chooser.app (macOS) by ctm development

There is a confusion here, we talk about Language for commands and constants

Also see the chapter Merged Applications: Using Regional Settings