Please Bring Back Command-K for Method Editor

Hi all,

I jumped into the R-Releases at v16R2. The first thing I noticed is that command-K (Mac) no longer invokes the Method Explorer. This is also true for the R3 release.

Please bring it back. I use this short-cut all the time and I find myself getting very frustrated to always need to go to the menu. If I highlight a method and press Command-K I do go to the Method, but I would like Command-K to work anywhere in the design environment like it use to (like in v16.x).

Thanks!

dave nasralla

Hello,

you are using one of the earlier version of 4D 64-bit (mac or windows),

what you see is the command+K in the File menu (not Method menu),
which is Open > Method, catching the event.

you can go to Preferences and assign a different keyboard shortcut to make sure the Method menu gets the command+K input.

incidentally, I think the problem is already fixed in later versions (16R3, 16R4).

Hello,

I re-read your post and realised actually you want the File menu command+K by default,
not the Method menu command+K (why the two share the same shortcut is a mystery).

c.f.

ACI0096295 (http://bugs.4d.fr/fixedbugslist?version=16.0_HF116.0.HF1>, http://bugs.4d.fr/fixedbugslist?branch=16_R316R3>)

the above fix made the Method menu take precedence when the method editor is frontmost, which seems reasonable.

I think the only resolution is to customise your keyboard shortcut so that the two commands do not share the same command+K shortcut.

Hi Miyako,

The shortcut that use to be there was in the Design -> Explorer -> Methods. At least I thought so… Looking back to v15 it is not there.

See the attached screen shot for what I wanted.

I’ll play with the shortcuts in the Preferences menu (though it seems you can’t select the command key - greyed out for me.)

Thanks for pointing me there.

dave

[]20677081;“Your comment here…”[/]

This was http://forums.4d.com/Post/FR/20261062/1/20333339#20261063previously reported> as ACI0096875 and it was originally marked as Standard Behavior.

I just checked right now and it looks like ACI0096875 has been reclassified from Standard Behavior back to a Bug.

Keep in mind that there will be no changes to v16R2 or v16R3 because those versions are already shipped and I highly doubt any changes will be made to v16R4 (currently in BETA) because this is not a regression bug (i.e. the bug has existed for multiple versions and is not specific to v16R4).

ACI0096875 should be corrected in an upcoming v16.x nightly build.

Thanks Tim. That’s encouraging.

Upon closer look. It appears the keystroke is defined as “Goto Definition” - from a right-click contextual menu or the Method menu…

[]20678596;“Method Menu ->…”[/]

Which means

• If I put my cursor a method name in code and press Command K it opens the method
  • If I put my cursor the name of a Form in code and press Command K it opens the form (not Command L)
  • If I put the cursor in a Command in code, it opens my browser to the help file
  • If I put the cursor in a table or field name, it opens the database structure and take you to the table

It’s helpful once you know that’s how it behaves. It’s just different than expected. If the cursor is no where then I hope it will just open the Method Explorer.

dave

Tim,

Thank you for letting us know this…I am beyond excited to have this back!!!

Steve

Hi Steve, Hi David,

ACI0096875 (Keyboard shortcut control - K does not open Explorer when on an empty line) has been fixed in the latest v16 nightly builds 215389 and higher which are available now in the Nightly Build subforum.

Kind Regards,

Tim PENNER

Tim,

I saw that yesterday in the “fixed” listing for this release. I downloaded it yesterday but have not had time to test it yet.

Thanks for letting us know.

Steve

I tested it and it works for me. :mrgreen:

Hi Tim/Steve,

Just for clarification, in which release is it fixed? The R4 Beta or the R4 Beta nightly build?

dave

Hi David,

As I tried to explain above, because this is not a regression I highly
doubt it would be fixed in v16R4.

: Tim PENNER

Keep in mind that there will be no changes to v16R2 or v16R3 because
those versions are already shipped and I highly doubt any changes
will be made to v16R4 (currently in BETA) because this is not a
regression bug (i.e. the bug has existed for multiple versions and is
not specific to v16R4).

ACI0096875 should be corrected in an upcoming v16.x nightly build.

It is fixed in v16.x nightly build 215389 or higher.
I do not expect this to be fixed in v16R4.
The fix will naturally be in v16R5 when it is branched.

Tim,

I can confirm my beloved Ctrl-K is back!!! :mrgreen:

Thank you to everyone!

Steve