Save password checkbox on 4D login dialog

Hi

I’m using 4D Remote v16 R5 on Windows (7 SP1).

Is there something wrong with the “Save password” checkbox?

I’m opening a 4DLink file using 4D Remote v16 R5 and logging with the “Save Password” box checked, but it doesn’t seem to do anything…

The 4DLink file remains unchanged.

I can add user_name to the 4DLink file manually and that correctly populates the login dialog, but “Save password” still does nothing.

Bug?

I was hoping to find out what password format 4D v16R5 puts into a link file. 4D v13 stored “password_md5” (though this wasn’t a vanilla MD5 hash). What I’m actually hoping is that 4D now stores a hashed password into a 4DLink that is compatible with a hashing algorithm that we can generate in code.

[]22390413;“This is the checkbox I’m referring to”[/]

This was not changed - and it works for me.

Maybe you check the wrong file?

The position has changed, it is now (on Windows) in
C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Roaming\4D\Favorites v16\Remote

Often it is better not to store the password here but to use Active Directory using Single Sign On…

Maybe you check the wrong file?

No, definitely editing the right file. Like I said, if I put the username into my 4DLink file manually it works.

I’ve found the problem. The remember password only works for 4DLink files in the Favorites v16\Remote folder.

I made a copy of the 4DLink file and put it on my desktop. When I launch 4D using the 4DLink file from my desktop, the Remember password checkbox doesn’t change my 4DLink file or any other link file. It just does nothing. That is different and seems like a bug to me?

Personally I’d prefer if that “Remember password” checkbox was removed entirely as in 99.99% of our cases it just doesn’t do what the user expects. I does update the 4DLink file contained in Favorites v16\Remote, but users normally connect using the 4D Remote connection dialog (“Recent” tab) which lists the 4DLink files from Favorites v16\Remote folder. But when you select one it ignores the user_name and password_md5 entries from it.

Often it is better not to store the password here but to use Active Directory using Single Sign On…

Absolutely, where possible that is the best way.

the Remember password checkbox doesn’t change my 4DLink file or any other link file.

Correction - it always changes the 4DLink file in Favorites v16\Remote

Sorry for the misinformation.

the password hash algorithm is available vis Generate digest, 4D digest (2) mode.

http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R4/4D/16-R4/Generate-digest.301-3316946.en.html

the password hash algorithm is available vis Generate digest, 4D digest (2) mode

Brilliant. Thanks!

I was about to log a new feature request to improve on the current functionality of this “Remember password” checkbox, but on checking I already did that a while back.

Right now, I’m not sure I get the point of this checkbox. It doesn’t do what a user would expect under normal operating circumstances.

1. It only updates the 4DLink file in Favorites v16\Remote

2. The standard 4D Remote connection dialog ignores the username/password stored in that 4DLink file

3. Because of (2), the next connection made with the “Remember password” un-checked, will remove the username & password from the 4DLink file.

Since I’ve already logged a feature request, I haven’t got any more to say on this. Thread closed.

: Keith WHITE

Right now, I’m not sure I get the point of this checkbox. It doesn’t
do what a user would expect under normal operating circumstances.

1. It only updates the 4DLink file in Favorites v16
    emote

2. The standard 4D Remote connection dialog ignores the
    username/password stored in that 4DLink file

In order to utilize the saved password that is in the 4DLink file located in the ‘Favorites v16\Remote’ folder, you must choose to open a Recent database from the File->Open Recent Database" menu option.

Another way to look at it, is that the open recent database list is built from the contents of the ‘Favorites v16’ folder. Clicking on an item from that list will launch the associated 4DLink file that is in that folder.

See also: http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R4/4D/16-R4/Connecting-to-a-4D-Server-Database.300-3423861.en.html#68648

: Keith WHITE
  1. Because of (2), the next connection made with the “Remember
    password” un-checked, will remove the username & password from the
    4DLink file.

The next connection will update the 4DLink file on disk, that is the expected behavior.

See also: http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77438

Hey Tim

Thanks for replying.

I said I wasn’t going to continue this, but I need to set this straight:-

1. As per my point (1). 4DLink files launched from other locations should allow the “Save Password” to work just the same. They don’t. That is a change in behaviour since 4D v13. There is a whole 4D tech note or tech tip KB article that discusses the 4DLink XML structure. 4DLink files in other locations are normal and “Remember password” no longer works for saving details into those 4DLink files. So if a user has a 4DLink file (perhaps created in code from the KB article, or maybe even put on a users desktop by an installer package), when he or she double clicks the file, the “Remember password” behaviour just fails to do anything useful for the user. It just updates an unrelated 4DLink file in a different location to the one the user launched 4D with. That seems like a bug to me.

2. When I say the 4D Remote connection dialog, I’m talking about this dialog

[]22435799;“4D Connection Dialog”[/]

Notice this is also a list of 4DLink files contained in Favorites v16\Remote? Just like the “Recent list” you refer to. Try selecting a 4DLink file with a saved password from here - it ignores the saved password. This isn’t a change in behaviour, but in my book it’s a bug.

Also notice the helpful checkbox at the bottom of that dialog “Display this dialog at next startup”. Guess what? Users see that and they check that box, so that next time they don’t have to use “File…Open…Remote…” menus. So when I say “Under normal operating circumstances”, I’m saying exactly that. Clearly the intention is that regular users have that connection dialog come up each time they launch 4D. So if that’s the normal and intended thing for users to do, why doesn’t that work with “Remember Password”? Whereas the more obscure “File…Open…Remote…” does. Go figure.

I won’t be reporting any of these as bugs.