Why does v18.1 open under App Translocation?

Hello all,
I use Little Snitch on my Mac to monitor all the incoming/outgoing connections. Typically when I add a new 4D app I get a similar message the first time it runs asking me if I want to allow it to communicate and I can set the scope granted. (I really like Little Snitch for the way it manages this.) The popup menu allows me to set the time frame. Usually “Forever” is an option but it is greyed out in this instance.

I installed v18.1 by opening the .dmg and dragging the folder to Applications as usual. However, there is something not quite kosher about the install as I get this dialog after every restart:
[]34521303;""[/]

I deleted and reinstalled everything again with the same result.

This is the first time I have ever encountered this and can’t figure out how to resolve it.

There doesn’t appear to be any overt penalty and I may be encountering this solely because I’m using an intrusive monitoring app. But I can’t tell if that is the cause or if it’s the case this is happening more generally on Macs but isn’t getting flagged by less stringent monitors.

Any thoughts or ideas? Yet another persnickety element of the Notorization?

If you put the app (and not the folder) into the application folder, it’s ok. don’t ask me why.

Olivier,
Interesting but it doesn’t really help too much. It’s OK until the next version of 4D and I need to keep both. Think of the plug-ins, native components and the other things the 4D app expects in its folder.

So - is anyone else seeing this? Or more to the point is this a ‘bug’ or a ‘feature’? (Because most people don’t monitor the connections to their computer as closely as I do.)

it doesn’t have to be directly under /Applications. it can be a subfolder. so you can keep dozens of copies of 4D (such as nightly builds) if that’s what you want.

but I think you need to move the app directly from the disk image to the subfolder and launch it from there, you shouldn’t, for example, move to a new folder after you’ve settled the app in a subfolder under /Applications. so it would be prudent to have a naming convention for your subfolders.

translocation itself is a feature of the macOS platform (Finder, Browsers, email Clients, GateKeeper all working together), an app that is properly signed and notarised will be translocated if you violate installation rules.

What I just did :

• download 4D_v18.1_Mac.dmg

• manually create a 4D folder in my /Applications folder

• double-click 4D_v18.1_Mac.dmg, drag and drop the 4D v18.1 folder from the image to my /Applications/4D folder

1st thing : if I double-clic 4D, I get this error message :
[]34600642;“error message”[/]
I have to right-click/open it (only the 1st time I open it)

2nd thing : same problem with Little Snitch, “Forever” is not available

[]34600703;"…"[/]

Really Strange :-?

Normally, IF the .dmg is signed you can make what you want with the app; for example, you can copy the app in your “Documents” folder , launch it , IT WILL NOT BE translocated.

:doubt:

I have been told (must verify) that the GateKeeper rules were enhanced recently; now every app in a .dmg must be notarised. this was not the case earlier, and 4D Volume Desktop (which looks like an app but is not really an app, more like an ingredient for building an app) may break integrity of the .dmg as a whole.

maybe it is better with nightly builds.

Olivier, what is your OS version :?:

: Keisuke MIYAKO

…may break integrity of the .dmg as a whole…
If it’s true (:?:), it can be the time for 4D to distribute each application in it’s unique dmg separately…

Olivier, what is your OS version

10.13.6 High S.

Even more strange :-o I troughted you use Catalina :!:

Miyako,

As Olivier reports I did try that too. I usually have several versions of 4D in my applications folder. It doesn’t seem to matter in this case.

I suspect your later comment about a change in the notorization process is the culprit.

Your problem is related to 10.13, not to Volume Desktop…

10.13: reminder, 4D Developer Edition is not certified for 10.13, only for 10.14 and 10.15. You can still use it for deployment, but not for development.
If you try to launch it on 10.13, you get a message from Apple that it cannot be opened.
Also see: https://kb.4d.com/assetid=78404
We recommend to update your Mac to 10.14 or 10.15.

Volume Desktop and Image: we checked some weeks ago with Apple if we can deploy Volume Desktop unsigned, as it cannot be executed. It was confirmed, but rules changed again, bad luck.
We think we found a way to ship 4D Volume Desktop so it can be installed and used to build an application without forcing to sign it for inhouse developers (deployed in the computer via file transfer, not via Internet), while of course external deployment for software editors requires to sign it.
This is a problem about getting NEW notarisations, not about already existing onces.
And it is only a problem for us when we build our image, as it contains the volume desktop not “build in”. As soon you build an application, this problem does not exist at all.
As said, we are working on that.

Hi Thomas,

I am running MacOS 14.6 and not feeling any particular joy in migrating to Catalina, sadly.

Thanks for clarifying things for me. I suspected something like this all along.